What is a keyword and does it cost extra?
A keyword is a word you can choose (based on availability) that people can text to automatically opt-in to a texting group. Keywords cost $10 per month per keyword.
Keywords can be used for things like opting in to receive notifications about upcoming events, or for parents to receive weekly details about what you’re studying in class/youth group, or for staying updated on the upcoming mission trip. It’s totally up to you!
Here’s an example of how a keyword could be used:
“Text DEVO to 406050 to get a monthly devotion to your phone.” (DEVO is the keyword.)
Keyword Posting Rules
If you have purchased a keyword and plan to publish it on a public-facing blog, website, social media, or other public outlet, you will need to follow these regulatory requirements.
Along with the keyword, include the following regulatory items required by the CTIA (Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association):
- The proper join statement: “To be added to our list, text ‘JOIN [KEYWORD] to 40650′”
- A link to the Simply Text Terms of Service (https://secure.symt.us/terms/index)
- The following statement: “Message frequency may be periodic.”
- The following statement: “Msg & Data rates may apply”
- The following statement: “To cancel your subscription, send STOP to 40650 at any time.” (NOTE: the word “STOP” must in be ALL CAPS and BOLD).
NOTE: This information must be easily seen. Using an asterisk or symbol to draw attention to the information is important. The text cannot be buried in small print in order to comply.
EXAMPLE of how this could read on your public-facing site:
To be added to our list, text ‘JOIN [KEYWORD]’ to 40650
Message frequency may be periodic. Msg & Data rates may apply.
To cancel your subscription, text STOP to 40650 at any time.
How do I purchase/add a keyword?
First, you will reserve your keyword, and then you will purchase it. Keywords cost $10 per month per keyword.
- From your Simply Text account, click on “Keywords” in the menu and then click the button “Add a Keyword.”
- Type in the keyword you’re interested in (use any combination of letters and numbers; no symbols allowed) and click the “tab” key. The system will show you if that keyword is available or not. (If the keyword isn’t available, then you’ll need to try a different keyword.)
- Pick either “Assign to a Group” or “…or to a Subgroup” option.
- Once you pick this option, click the drop-down next to the option and select which Group (or Subgroup) you want
NOTE: You need to reserve a keyword before you will be able to purchase.
- From your Simply Text account, click on “Keywords” in the menu. Then click “Activate” next to the keyword you’d like to purchase.
- Verify or enter your credit card information, then click the “next” button.
- Review the charges, agree to the monthly charges, and click “Make Payment.”
How do I delete a keyword from my list of pending keywords?
To remove a pending keyword, click on the keyword, then click the “delete” button on the bottom of the screen.
How much do keywords cost?
$10 per month per keyword. No contracts. No shenanigans. Deactivate/cancel a keyword anytime. Prorated charges may apply.
Can I change the number that people text to join?
Our short code (40650) is a code assigned to Simply Text, so you will not be able to change the short code.
How do I find out if the keyword I want is available without buying it yet?
Click “Add” and enter a keyword you’re interested in. Click the Tab button and the system will automatically check availability. Don’t be bummed if the one you wanted isn’t available, simply use your creativity and pick another one!
Are keywords case-sensitive?
No, they are not case-sensitive.
Can I reserve a keyword and pay for it later?
Yes, if you start the keyword purchase process, any available keyword you select will be reserved for 72 hours. After 72 hours, the keyword will be released back for reserving by any other account. Poof!
If I deactivate my keyword, how soon can someone else take it?
Deactivated keywords will not be available for anyone else’s use for 60 days.
How do I use my keyword? What do I tell people to text?
To use your keyword, you can instruct people to text ‘JOIN [KEYWORD]’ to 40650.
NOTE: if you plan to post your keyword on a public-facing website, blog, social media account, etc., please refer to the Keyword Posting Rules [LINK] listed above.
When someone texts to join, why are they asked for their first and last name?
This is so that when they’re added to your account, you will know who the number belongs to. We can’t guarantee that the contact will respond with their first and last name, but we ask. They will still be added to your account regardless if they respond with their name or not.
When a contact texts in a “keyword,” what Group or Subgroup are they added to?
When you create the keyword, you are required to assign a keyword to a specific Group or Subgroup. Those contacts who are texting to that keyword will be added to the Group (or Subgroup).
Can a keyword be added to more than one group or subgroup?
No. The keyword represents one Group or Subgroup.
Can two or more keyword additions be added to the same Group or Subgroup?
Yes, you can do this.